Wednesday 14 October 2020

Back to 'Normal'

 

I had my latest cancer surgery just over 4 weeks ago.  They removed my gallbladder (which, apparently, you don’t miss) and a chunk of my liver; about 30% of it.  My (very wrong!) friend asked if they were going to eat it with some fava beans and a nice Chianti , but strangely this only grossed me out because I pictured a piece of nasty diseased liver on the plate, and not necessarily because it was a piece of my own human liver.  Which possibly makes me almost as wrong, I’m not sure!


This being my 4th surgery in 3 years, I feel I’m a bit of a pro now in ‘what to do to get out of hospital quickly’.  I stayed in for four nights and then went to my mum’s to recover and isolate for 14 days.  I ended up staying a little bit longer due to another Covid swab and more self-isolating ahead of an arse-related appointment.  

  I am used to the indignity by now; there has been plenty of traffic through that particular route over the last few years since being diagnosed with bowel cancer. Actually, the correct term is colo-rectal cancer (of the colon and/or arsepipe – mine was on the cusp). 

Even with that tumour removed, I am in no sense back to normal in the arse department.  It’s a funny/not funny health condition. As my ex-mother-in-law quipped, it’s necessary to go through such indignities if my doctors are to get to the bottom of things.  (Ba-dum chshshhh…)  I’m often the butt of her jokes (Wa-wa-wa-waaaaa…) They actually tried to get to the bottom of things in 3 different ways, including sending little electric shocks up there, which I couldn’t feel… which might be a clue to what the actual problem is.  You see? No dignity left.  None.  I’m blogging about my rectum.  I bet they won’t want to print this one in Families Magazine. 

 So, anyway, before all that, I spent a couple of very relaxing weeks at my mum’s.  I love recovering there, it’s a bit like being on holiday, only better because I don’t have to do a thing.  We watched the news, snoozed a bit, drank endless cups of tea, indulged in those sleepy late afternoon gardening/heirloom mending programmes, followed by the quizzes. I listened to audiobooks while Mum cooked and did laundry and the washing-up.  Then we’d choose our evening viewing from the TV mag (how quaint!) and settle down to watch something murder-related (my choice, not Mum’s… don’t judge me!)  or maybe a documentary or another quiz.  She thrashed me at University Challenge 6-1.  I’m still smarting!

I’m back at my own place now, been back a couple of weeks.  It’s not quite as relaxing here.  I had thought I could rest during the day while my kids were at school, and I did so, for a few days.  But then Boo was sent home from school to self-isolate for 14 days as 2 people in her classes at school had tested positive for Covid 19.  A few days later she developed a cold but no Covid symptoms, and then a couple of days after that, she started with a bad cough and was hot to the touch. Ugh.  We got her booked in for a swab test the same morning and now await the results.  Unfortunately, we must all now self-isolate PROPERLY, meaning DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE.  Today is Day 2, and I feel so frustrated and bored!  Mum points out that she did it for 3 months in the Spring and survived.  I’m not sure whether the fact that I’m trapped in my house with 3 teenagers rather than all alone makes my plight worse or better.  Just for a moment I wished I was married, not to anyone in particular, just an adult my own age for company and to share the litter-picking.  Why can teenagers not use bins?  

 Boo seems a little better today, but still coughing the kind of cough which makes me want to fumigate her room. Her entire year group at school have been sent home due to more positive cases, so I am bracing myself for a positive result.  Poor Boo.  Thankfully these days she will take a couple of paracetamol, and blow her own nose.  But the sensory disruption of a runny and blocked nose appears to drive her crackers; she’s got through 2 boxes of tissues in as many days and half a pot of Vaseline for her sore nose.

 I have an oncology appointment next week, which, depending on Boo’s test result, I may not be able to go to.  Assuming she tests negative and I get to the appointment, I will find out what the plan is for my chemotherapy.  The doctor I spoke to at follow-up said there’s a possibility that oncology will recommend that I don’t have chemo, as the liver surgeon is confident he got all the cancer, didn’t find any more while he was in there, and the histology all looked good.  I should be pleased with that- it sounds positive, and who wants to have chemo during a pandemic?? 

The trouble is, I have been told before that they ‘got it all’ and I was given an ‘all clear’ result after my 1 year post op CT scan.  And yet, my colo-rectal cancer spread to my liver.  How could it spread if they got it all out?  When I asked how this was possible, the consultant explained to me that the cancer will have been there in my body the whole time, but would have just been too small to see on the CT at that stage.  When they said they had got it all, that meant they had taken out all they could see.  So I’m finding it hard to believe that this time will be any different.  There might still be miniscule little bits of cancer floating around in my body that no-one can detect yet, may not even be able to detect a year from now.  Having chemotherapy, to me, feels like an extra layer of protection against further spread down the line. 

I know there are no guarantees chemo will rid me of cancer forever, it puts me at a very high risk of becoming ill with infections and viruses, as it will knacker my immune system, and will undoubtedly make me feel like total shit… but it might buy me some more time.  I need much more time; I have a lot of things I want to do.

Serendipitously, Nurse Lynnie, a long time bestie and Lass, transferred to the Chemo Day Unit at the hospital just before I was re-diagnosed in August.  So if I do go down that route, I’ll be well looked after. I see many funny times ahead if that’s the case- she won’t let me go through all that without a few laughs!

But first things first, another day of self-isolating and waiting for Boo’s Covid test result.  Life just keeps on going, even when you’re poorly.  So I have to keep going too.  It’s been hard to do that over the past 24 hours; I’ve felt worried about Boo and annoyed to be stuck inside, and fed up of not being able to see my friends, same as everyone else. But the kids still need their tea, the washing still needs doing, the car insurance is about to run out.  When you are the single responsible adult in the family, the mental load can be immense sometimes. It isn’t strength that keeps me going, it’s necessity.  Thank goodness for necessity.

7 comments:

Lesley P said...

You are so strong Bev even if you don’t feel it! You wrote so eloquently even in such a s*#+’y subject. Sending you positive thoughts and lots of love xx

Stella said...

You are the strongest person I know hun. You never cease to amaze me how you cope with all that’s been thrown your way and still find humour in some of the unlikeliest places. Luvs ya loads hun. Xx

Unknown said...

Hallo Beverley, I have just read (first time I read directly from your blog!) and become fully aware of your recent health troubles. I'm sorry you're facing cancer one more time, I hope that you get good news soon. And that none of your girls gets ill with Covid :-/ I'm sending lots of good Italian wishes - they're luckier :-)) Giorgia, mum of Francesco from St Chad's

BooHooMama said...

Thanks Lesley x

BooHooMama said...

Thank you Stella x

BooHooMama said...

Thank you Giorgia x

BooHooMama said...

I am happy to report Boo’s Covid test came back negative the following day, and we are no longer all stuck in the house! I was having one of those days when I wrote this one!☝️
Writing it down helps me unload and I felt better for it! 😊