Thursday 14 March 2013

WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY 2013

...and how to do your bit without breaking a sweat!



World Autism Awareness Day (WAAD) 2013 is almost here (2nd April, yay!) and it’s great to see that  the global online Autism community have ramped up their efforts to spread the word and help to raise awareness.  I have been particularly excited by the 'Light it up Blue' campaign for the charity Autism Speaks in the USA and beyond, which has famously led to some of the world’s most beloved landmarks being bathed in blue light to mark WAAD in spectacular form.


This being my first WAAD as an ‘Autism awareness raiser’, I was all fired up to join in the excitement,  so I got my blue lightbulb ready for the front room :-) and then set about learning more and looking for events to take part in here in the UK.   The National Autistic Society was my first stop.   

Autism Politics for beginners


The first thing I learned was that the National Autistic Society are not related to Autism Speaks and the Light it up Blue campaign.  The UK affiliate of Autism Speaks is called AutisticaI discovered that Autism Speaks and Autistica's main aims were based in scientific research around Autism, while the NAS approach to Autism is more person/family centered.   
I understand that Autism Speaks is researching the causes, prevention, and treatment of Autism.  I’ve also come across the word ‘cure’ in this context.  This upsets and insults a lot of people in the Autism community, including many adults with Autism who do not want Autism to be viewed as a disease, a fault or a flaw; something to be prevented or eliminated.  I myself can become quite touchy about the term ‘disorder’ in my daughter’s diagnosis of ASD, which implies that those with the condition have something wrong with them.  No.  My Boo is not wrong, she is different.   I am a member of the ‘Different, not less’ club.  I am offended by suggestions that my daughter and those like her are somehow not as good as so-called ‘normal’ people.  It is just plain reductionist.  I don’t even like the term ‘disabled’, for the same reasons.  I prefer ‘differently-abled’, but at this point I know I am losing some of you- you are looking at me sideways and silently calling me a fruit-loop.  That’s fine.  I’m not here to dictate how anyone else should think.  I am not an ABA mum, a Son-Rise mum, or a Warrior mum, withholding vaccines and banning wheat and dairy… but I fully respect those of you who are.  We are all doing what we believe serves the best interests of our children.  

 I happen to align myself more with the NAS way of thinking, but it has to be said, the NAS do not seem to be so excited about World Autism Awareness Day and as such, I think they may be missing a trick. The 'Light it up Blue' campaign has glued itself to WAAD, as has the 'Go Blue for Autism' campaign in Australia and this has gained everyone's attention.  This, in my opinion, is the way to get the ball rolling in the UK, if we want perception of Autism to change.  I really think the NAS should get on board with BLUE and add their own slant to it.  The fact is, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on, the whole BLUENESS idea works, because it’s easy, the hard work has already been done, it’s FUN, and deserves to be as huge here in the UK as it is in the USA and Australia.

A few thoughts for those who are a little green at going blue...

If you are a certain sort of person, and you click on NAS or Autistica's fundraising pages, you will be excited.  When I clicked on Autistica's fundraising page, the words ‘marathon’ and ‘Kilimanjaro’ punched me in the face, so I quickly unclicked.  In my search for more realistic ways to take part, I only found a handful of community events planned for WAAD in the UK, and nothing close to where I live.  Hats off to anyone who is going to organise their own fundraiser, but that's not me (at least, not this year!)  In any case, as much as I realise that money makes the world go around, and that there are countless causes supporting people with Autism in need of money, I personally feel that the important work lies in raising awareness and acceptance of Autism - once we get that sussed, the money will follow and hopefully go where it needs to go.

So, in addition to the Empire State Building and the Sydney Opera House, the London Eye will be lighting it up blue this year for WAAD, as will Birmingham University.  And my front room.  ;-)  I would love to hear about any other venues, iconic or otherwise, going blue for Autism awareness this year!  Members of the Autism community - come on, just do it.  It’s such an easy thing to do: look- I’ve even given you a link to buy your blue bulbs here.

... and, if you want to sprinkle a little sugar on it, buy online via The Giving Machine and you can donate a few pence to your chosen charity or cause at the same time, at no extra cost to you.

I know, putting a blue light on in your front room may seem silly, trivial and a little pointless.  It is not a very grand gesture.  It is not a marathon or a trek up Kilimanjaro.  It’s not even a fete or a bun sale. But sometimes, lots of people doing something tiny can add up to something big.  Autism AWARENESS is what WAAD is about, so let’s raise awareness, one person, one lightbulb, one conversation at a time. Looking for other ideas to mark the occasion?  There are a few suggestions on the Autism Speaks and Autistica websites.

The simplest ideas are often the most effective.  If you design or borrow an Autism Awareness Facebook cover picture for the day (or the whole of April, Autism Awareness month), then how many people will see it?  LOADS!  Or have a look at one of the thousands of Autism related Facebook pages, blogs or Twitter feeds.  Like and share a page, subscribe to a blog, retweet!  Easy-peasy.  


My favourite idea is to wear blue to work (or wherever else you might be going!)  because for me it necessitates buying something new, which is always good.  ‘Go shopping for Autism’ – sounds fab doesn’t it?!  If I can’t find anything blue in my size then I’ll paint my nails blue instead and wear blue eyeshadow:  ‘The Autism Makeover’-are you in?!   If we can do something that prompts one thought about Autism, which otherwise may not have occurred, then we will have done something wonderful.  We will have paid forward our awareness and acceptance of Autism.  With any luck, it could lead to a conversation about Autism, which may just reach someone who can learn something new from it, and that awareness and acceptance could ripple outwards from us, to them, and travel who knows how far?

Please, if your life has been touched by Autism, GO BLUE for Autism on World Autism Awareness Day in whatever small way you can; encourage others to do the same and help raise awareness and acceptance of Autism.  Feel the love and pass it on!  Tuesday 2nd April.


No comments: